This week’s topic is hormones and how they make us crazy!! I am talking about not only testosterone, estrogen, progesterone and insulin but also your endocrine hormones. These very important chemical messengers if even slightly imbalanced can cause major health problems.
I’m not going to lie it is a bit of a complex subject but I am going to give you the nuts and bolts whether you are male or female.
Top 5 things that interfere with hormone function
1. Liver imbalance caused by foods we eat and drink.
2. Imbalanced gut (candidiasis overgrowth).
3. Endocrine disruptors.
4. Medication including birth control pills and cortisone.
5. Stress and lack of sleep.
Signs of hormone imbalance
1. Fertility problems, irregular menstrual periods, PCOS and endometriosis.
2. Unexplained Weight gain or weight loss.
3. Depression, fatigue and anxiety.
4. Changes in appetite and energy levels.
5. Insomnia and digestive issues.
Top 5 ways to balance hormones naturally
1. Improve liver health. (Filtration and hormone regulation)
2. Improve good bacteria in the gut and heal leaky gut.
3. Improve diet and digestion. Include more healthy fats especially Omega 3s. Limit caffeine and alcohol.
4. Eliminate endocrine disruptors (Dirty dozen of endocrine disruptors are listed in ewg.ca – link below). Including medication.
5. Manage stress, get more sleep and exercise regularly.
The message in this newsletter and in all my newsletters is that knowledge is power. Empower yourself to better health by being aware of everything that effects your health.
Additional ways to help with hormones:
Essential Oils: Clary sage, Sandal wood and thyme.
Tea (Tisanes and decoctions) Raspberry leaf, Spearmint, Rooibos, Holy basil, Jasmine, Hibiscus, Chaste berry etc.
Adaptogens: Ashwagandha, Asian ginseng, Rodiola, Maca root, Dong quai, Omega 3 fatty acids, Schizandra etc.
Hope this helps but if you have any questions at all please reach out. 🙂